Forest Schools at Oaklands
At Oaklands Nursery all children have the opportunity to take part in Forest Schools with our qualified staff in our own woodland area.
Forest School is an inspirational process that offers all learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland or natural environment with trees.
Forest School is a specialised learning approach that compliments the wider context of learning throughout the nursery.
The ethos of Forest Schools has its roots back in the early years of outdoor learning and education in Scandinavia.
At Forest School all participants:
- Are equal, unique and valuable
- explore & discover
- experience appropriate risk and challenge
- make choices and initiate their own learning and development
- experience regular success
- develop positive relationships with themselves and other people
- develop a strong, positive relationship with their natural world
Forest Schools is learner-centred and enables children to engage with the outdoors. They run as a program of sessions rather than one off sessions and are based on a cycle of planning, observation and review. The children’s experiences ensure that all learners experience the cumulative and lasting benefits that quality Forest School offers.
Principles of Forest School
- Forest Schools takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the learners understanding of the natural world.
- Forest Schools is a range of learner-centred processes which develop learning.
- Forest Schools aims to promote resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- Forest Schools allows learners to take supported risks.